Retry menu, new sprites started.

I have created a player sprite for the overworld screen. It wasn't too hard but it's far from perfect. I should be able to finish up the rest of the characters quickly now that I know how to do it. They are only 8 frames each. This sprite is 3 times bigger than the one I was using before so I had to adjust the collision detection appropriately.
Player Sprite

I do want to create bigger and more complicated sprites for the battles. That will be some more work to do. I plan on an attacking animation, a blocking animation, maybe a falling down animation and if that is going well some more complicated stuff. I already some code in place to start handling those types of animations. I don't know a good size to choose yet for the battle screen sprites but I am thinking being close to the size of sprites used in Streets of Rage 2 and Shining Force (updated to modern resolutions).

I also hooked up the event handler for the Retry Battle option. It currently resets the active state of the player and battle starts again. There is still more to do to reset the battle screen all the way correctly. I thought about a few ideas on how to do it such as implementing an initialize or a reset method that changes the values. I attempted that at first just a few minutes ago but I couldn't get it right yet so for now it's just reactivating the player sprite.

So from here on out it's making more sprites and artwork. Then it will be making the battles fun and challenging. I will need to wire up the rest of the menu entries and options. Then music.

Until next week.

Comments

Popular Posts