Game Developers Conference

This month I had the opportunity to attend GDC in San Francisco. It was awesome, inspiring and exhausting at the same time. I met tons of cool people like the 17-Bit guys, the Vlambeer guys, the Cyber Heist guys who are from the University of Utah, the Aztez guys, the Unity guys, the Sony guys, Capcom Vancouver (who did Dead Rising 3), Riot games, WB Games, Insomniac, Microsoft guys, Nintendo guys, Crypt of the Necrodancer guys, the Gone Home guys, the Goat Simulator guys, the Chair guys, the Unreal engine guys, the Ubi-Art framework guys, the Game Maker guys, and the Hyperlight drifter guys.

Highlights for me include trying out Sony's project Morpheus, and learning and getting questions answered. I really want to give VR a chance, but I'm still not 100% sold on it. Being a pilot fits it well, but first person game would not feel right still. I loved that I could walk up to lots of devs that were demoing their game and just talk to them and ask them questions on how they did things. I'm working on a beat em up in Unity and I happened to see one there. They had the editor open and could show me how they rigged up the camera to get the beat em up feel.

One thing I noticed is that Unity and PS4 were everywhere. So many games running on Unity and so many games on a PS4. I'm glad I've started picking up and learning Unity because it is taking over. Nintendo and Sony both had Unity in sections of their own booths. Not to mention the Unity booth had PS4s, Wii Us, and Xbones all running games on them all the time.

I'm hoping that the next time I go I would have my own game to show off and interact with people about.

Fresh pass

Career center and games in the back under GDC play.

Expo floor.


Project Morpheus.


Shark tank demo of Morpheus.

I found goat simulator. Hilarious game.

Steam machines were popular. I didn't care for the controller when I tried Strider.

Found Mario.

Hepatic walker.

History of video games museum had loads of Nintendo stuff.

IGF awards. Papers, please won most of them.

Game Developers choice awards.

View from the Hotel.

This Wacoms were amazing.

Messing around with them.

Ubi-Art framework demo by one of the programmers.

Lucasarts, RIP.

Shadows of the Empire.

Tie Fighter.

3D printing. (Seems more like molding to me)

4K TV running Unity game from a tablet.

Towerfall was rocking it at the Sony booth.

Game I got to learn camera rigging from.

My Morpheus ticket.

Sony Playstation booth was the biggest there.

Unity booth was the 2nd in size, but the busiest by far.

Unreal 4 was announced for public and a nice demo was shown in a theater room in the back.

Utah representing.

I won this keyboard from Microsoft by doing a Unity tutorial.

It has a screen for touch and browsing.



Comments

Popular Posts