Pros and Cons to owning a PS Vita

Now that I've had a PS Vita for over a year I'd like to list some of it's pros and cons. Handhelds usually don't get mileage from my but I play the Vita often while putting kids to bed.

Pros:
Loads of RPGs.
Persona 4 Golden, Tales of Hearts R, Final Fantasy (pretty much 1 through X-2), Chrono Trigger, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Trials of the Skies, etc.
Remote play.
Getting to play your PS4 while someone else is using the TV or while laying on the ground next to your toddler while they try to sleep is awesome! It's not perfect, and the farther away you are the more lag you can feel, but it's still awesome.
PS1 classics.
There are loads of PS1 classics available to play from the PSN store. Being able to play Resident Evil 2, Metal Gear Solid, Parasite Eve, FF 7 8 9 and Tactics, Suikoden 2, Mega Man X 4 and more while on the go is awesome. It's like carrying a PS1 in your pocket.
Suspend games is one of the best features.
You can pause a game at any time. Online games don't handle this well, but any other game you can pick right up where you left off. I know consoles are starting to get similar functions, but this is amazing to me.
Portable.
One of the main features of the Vita, but it is great being able to take it with you anywhere. I do recommend a case to protect that beautiful screen though. It's a little too big for pockets, but still fair size.
Holds a charge for a long time.
I'm always surprised at how long my Vita stays charged even in suspend mode. 

Cons:
Memory card cost is ridiculous.
It was necessary to purchase a 64GB card. It was $100 from Amazon shipped from Japan. This should not have costed that much to procure.
Touch controls are not as fun as they should be. 
This may be personal preference, but the rear touch pad is really hard to use, and touch screen games don't do it for me.

Thumbstick placement.
I feel like the thumbsticks are just a tad too low for my hands.

Physical cards can only be read per vita. 
Buying games used you have to do a couple steps to get it ready to play because your Vita can't read the data of someone else. Kinda weird.
Not enough buttons to remote play every game.
Games that require heavy use of R2 that don't map them to R on the Vita are really too hard to play. 

Comments

Popular Posts