XNA book and more art

I have been making some more character artwork and recently picked up an XNA book written by James Silva ( developer of The Dishwasher: Dead Samarai). I'm hoping it will help me out of this programming slump I have hit recently with AI and pick up the pace again. I picked it up based on a recommendation from Dean Dodrill, the developer of Dust: An Elysian Tale, who happened to teach himself to program also.

I have discovered a website called Gamasutra which has tons of articles written by game developers. Every night I read a few and get inspired and then open Shiny Blade and stare at the code trying to think of what to do next. So when nothing starts happening when I try stuff I open up RPG Maker or Game maker and mess around hoping to hit something. Then I switch over to Photoshop and make some sprites. Google searching usually doesn't result in exactly what I'm looking for either on the code and AI examples.

Then I read on Gamasutra a postmortem (afterdeath?) written on Dust where Dean mentioned that this book really helped him get out of a slump. Building XNA 2.0 Games. I searched amazon and found it for cheaper than the shipping cost and ordered it. I already am stoked just to have a book to work with and be doing something. Sometimes that's all I need to keep me going and have the breakthrough I need.

I hope to have more updates to Shiny Blade soon.

Oh, and I'm playing the Mass Effect trilogy from the beginning. I am loving number 2 way more than number 1. I am a little over halfway and then I can finally try out number 3.

Comments

Popular Posts